Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Comfort in food

Some of you may have noticed the obvious fact that i post a lot of food recipes on my blog. Well, this week I have realized that it is most likely due to the need for comfort. After such a rough week or so I have been craving a lot of food I can only get at home. 

To name one in particular, mexican food. Now, if you have ever been to Europe or the Netherlands and are used to authentic mexican food or even not so authentic, than you will know you can't get any of it here! Sure there are places that offer "Mexican" dishes, but they use bland or just nasty spices to mock the idea. Today I discovered that 90% of the ingredients needed are at almost any store in the Netherlands. Honestly I have just never tried to look and the hardest ingredients were proper chili powder or chilis. 

Anyhow, the point of all this? Today I made fresh enchiladas. Jasper, being foreign to "Real" mexican style food was not disappointed either! I made it with a homemade enchilada sauce, but with just a little less chili powder than recomended. Then I layered freshly shreded chicken, cheese, corn, black beans and the sauce; bake it at 375* F / or 180*C for 20 minutes. What else goes good with this? Well, home made Mexican Rice! Unfortunately I didn't have my mom's recipe, but thank goodness the internet has plenty of options. Everything turned out very nice and my tummy is quite happy. For the vegetarians out there: there are plenty of soy and non-soy products that simulate fake chicken or hamburger. Sinch this recipe can be rather spicey it helps add extra flavor to the otherwise bland products. 

As mentioned in my last blog, I am on the hunt for a new job and i hope it comes fast. My plan is to apply to as many jobs as I can, that fit my interest and experience of course. Also, the poor recruiters will be getting regular phone calls from me and I hope they help me out!!! I don't want to be out of work for too long because a big gap will make it even harder to find something. 

The positive? Well I am indeed working on a grand plan to not only better my photography skills, thank you mom and dad for the camera, but make some money while unemployed! It occured to me today that I am pretty good at portraits and especially with kids. The holidays are coming soon and it seems that most families in the Netherlands like to do the cute christmas card with a family photo or kid shot. I hope to enterprise on this fact and maybe make some extra cash while gaining experience. Soon I will be adding photos to my portfolio and you can give me your tips and opinions!

Wish me luck!!! I really need it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment