Sunday, October 24, 2010

Oh, how the wind changes direction so quickly!

To my few readers, I am once again sorry for my neglect in posting on a regular basis. It seems that life can pick you up and throw you for a spin so quickly. My last post breifly mentioned my new job and things have changed suddenly.

In the Netherlands, and most European countries, it is common practice to have a contract with your employer. For me it has been a new experience and I have learned a lot through it. Two months ago I got a new job working as an administrative assistant. The position, pay, location, and benefits at this company are too good to be true. I have worked my little heart out and grown so much with this opportunity. Yet, the too good to be true became reality this week. While it is a great job it comes with it's share of stress. Lately my health has declined and, hand in hand, my quality of work with it. On Friday my boss sat me down and told me they aren't going to continue my contract (it was a 3 month contract but they ended it immediately). I was devistated, to be honest I still am upset about it. Not only have I not been resting well and frustrated with stress, but now I have to be told I am just not experienced enough. Needless to say, I was not happy with their decision and the circumstances were quite unfair. Also custom in the Netherlands is the courtesy of meeting with an employee and giving them the chance to improve if the employer isn't happy, I was not given this chance.

What now? Well, I am moving on and trying to keep my head up. Good things can come out of the bad, right? In the time I worked for that company I was able to catch up with my health insurance, work on improving our little house, buy a new dryer, and be comfortable enough with our money to not stress. Now, I will have to be thankful for that time and learn to be more cautious the next time around. A positive thing that may come out of it is the opportunity to get a job more fitting and less stressful. In the meantime I can focus on my health, school work, and maybe work on my photography a bit more! Which reminds me, Jasper helped me start a site to display my pictures: My photography portfolio!  At the moment the site is limited, but now I will have plenty of time to work on it! However, I hope to find a new job as soon as possible!!! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. A job that causes such stress as to jeopardize your health is really not worth it. I do hope you can find a suitable job that won't have that stress very soon.

    ReplyDelete