Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Strangers on a train



After a long day at work I joined the crowds for the travel home. Except this time the trains weren't as packed as usual! Everyday, all around me, I hear conversations. At times its in Dutch, quite often in English and sometimes a mix of both.

Sitting in close vicinity of so many people makes it hard to tune out the chatter. Today I heard a funny conversation, between two strangers, about how many languages the gentleman spoke. He was Dutch of course and could happily gloat about speaking Dutch, English, French, and German fluently...plus a few others not so fluently. The woman, not a native English speaker herself but speaking it just the same, was amazed and shocked at his knowledge. 

The Dutch culture is quite interesting. I forget just how diverse they can be. We think America is a melting pot, but these people really embrace the cultures, languages, and land of those around them. There are soo many nationalities around me its hard to imagine. The fact that the Dutch are so bilingual is usually not given a second thought. However, if I think about it its at times a necessity with all the countries and cultures that surround them!

At my work alone we have at least 15 different nationalities! I think that's a big part of loving it here. The broad spectrum keeps me interested, learning new things, and meeting new people!

For your enjoyment I snuck a shot of the two chatting on the train!

1 comment: