Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another recipe you should try!



For some reason i have been wanting to try and bake a Cheesecake lately. I have always been to scared to attempt one, but when I have a lot of time on my hands I tend to get a bit more brave. As it turns out, for my first attempt ever, the cake turned out quite good! My only default was a slightly soggy crust. I had followed a tip online to wrap the springform pan in tinfoil and set it directly in a water bath. Well, the water still leaked through the 3 layers of foil and pan. So after it baked I took it out of the water and baked a bit longer to dry the crust out. I have found other tips that say placing a pan of water below is sufficient. Oh well lesson learned! At least the filling was fantastic and not cracked! Also, there are no gram crackers here. I ended up using "speculaas" cookies, they are cheap and a great substitute. In the end it looked great and tasted Yummy! Much to my surprise it was really easy, want to try?

---------------

NY Cheesecake

Crust:

1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup sugar

6 tablespoons butter or margarine

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Filling:

2 lbs. cream cheese (4-8oz. pkgs.)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

4 eggs

1-1/4 tablespoon lemon juice

Topping:

2 cups sour cream

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

(Need: 10″ springform pan)


  Crust:  Mix all ingredients together and press into 10″ springform pan.

  FILLING:  Combine salt, sugar, eggs and lemon juice and beat till smooth, set aside. In large bowl add 1 package of cream cheese at a time and cream untill smooth.  Gradually add egg mixture and beat untill it is mixed well.

   Pour into springform pan and bake at 350 deg. F. about 1 hour.

(Place a pan of water on the rack below to create steam, prevent cracks in cake, and catch droppings)

Spread topping on top and bake at 475deg for 15-20 minutes.  Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment