Saturday, October 2, 2010

Why I love IKEA...

Compared to the usual American spoils, houses in the Netherlands are quite compact. I am lucky enough that we live in a fairly large apartment, but our kitchen is a little small. Therefore, where there is a problem, relating to the household essentials, there is IKEA! Our dish rack was rather annoying on the counter with such limited prep. space. Along came the hanging dish rack...
 Next problem is there is not enough cabinet space and putting bulky cabinets in such a small kitchen makes it feel smaller. Along came the dish...shelf? Complete with hanging thingies and fake plants for color!...
 All of this possible wholey due to my new job! Working 2 days a week just doesn't cut it. Now I am working 5 days at a place VERY close to my house, its a 10 min bike ride. Not only am I paid well, get vacation pay, and an international group of people to work with...the perks are even better. I have been attending events, dinners, and planning flights and trips almost every week (flights arent for me). It is an interesting and fun job, but the best part is the paycheck and guiltless trips to IKEA! hehe


Naturally, what do you do in a freshly organized kitchen? Of course silly, you bake COOKIES!...

                                                    My First Attempt at Snickerdoodles ..mmmm....
I guess this makes it the recipe of the week (see below):

Snickerdoodles 


(Bake 8-10min @ 400*F / 200*C)
Note: I don't suggest baking longer than 10 min. They will get crispy fast!

1/2    C. Butter
1/2    C. Shortening (I substituted butter)
1 1/2 C. Sugar
2      Lg. Eggs
2      tsp. Vanilla (Thank you Becky!)
*Cream all of the above together

2 3/4 C. Flour
2       tsp. Cream of Tartar (Thank you Becky again!)
1       tsp. Baking Soda
1/4    tsp. Salt
*Blend all of the above, then mix with wet ingredients.

2     TBS. Sugar
2     TBS. Cinnamon
*Make cookie dough into balls and roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture

2 comments:

  1. I like your kitchen improvements a lot! The clean lines and the sort of industrial look of the dish rack and shelves works really well with the white tile. It makes it very light and modern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I have the same Ikea Kitchen products! The dish drying rack did turn into a bread (Travis works @ a bakery) shelf, now that we have a dishwasher.

    I can't follow your blog?! Can you update your blog to have a button to follow. I would love to be updated on new posts.

    ReplyDelete