Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Will work for...

Many simple things in life have become very challenging for me over the last 5 months. I have had to struggle with learning another language (everyone does speak English, but a girls got to fit in), try to make new friends, and find a career with a pointless associates degree (hard to do anywhere). As you can imagine all three are daunting problems, but the most stressful for me has been finding job.



Most jobs here, of course, require English AND Dutch speakers. In desperation I have found myself applying for at least 2 jobs a day and on every job site you can think of! At times I have been very frustrated, but this week I am crossing my fingers. I had one interview today to be an independent contractor and work as a tour guide in Amsterdam. This means working for tips, but at a promising rate and a fun job! Then, wouldn't you know it, a phone call came in this afternoon from a recruiter in Utrecht (10min from me by train) and she had good news! I have another job interview on Thursday morning!!! This interview will be for a reliable job doing admin work at a medical research company. They are based in the U.S. and rated by Fortune as a top company to work for. I'm sure you can guess which company I would prefer to work for....the second of course. I mean how far can you get in life as a tour guide, as fun as it may be! I will report back after Thursday interview...I'm soo excited, but scared to jinx myself! I wonder how long it takes to get a job offer after the first interview here...hmm.... Wish me luck!

1 comment: