Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Clean Teeth!

It is an interesting thing when you finally have health insurance. I have been to the doctor more in the Netherlands than in my whole life in the states! Not to say that I am making unnecessary visits, but I just rarely went back home. Another great thing is not hesitating to go get your teeth cleaned! I know I have had a cavity for quite some time and it has been over a year since I visited a dentist.


Today I joined Jasper to his dentist ("tandarts" in Dutch) and had my teeth cleaned as well. I must say that it made me VERY happy! I LOVE having my teeth cleaned and knowing everything is okay. As expected that tiny cavity never dissappeared on it's own and I will have to return for another visit to have it fixed. 

My observation of the dentist in the Netherlands is quite biased. I have had the same dentist my whole life and have gotten used to certain things. Today he just cleaned the plaque off of my bottom teeth and checked for other cavities. In the states all the teeth are scrapped clean and then the official denal tooth brush comes out to make it squeaky clean. You know that feeling you have when you can feel how smooth your teeth are post-dental appointment? Yeah, it just wasn't the same! However, at least it's a start! 

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... yup you just reminded me I have to schedule an appointment at the dental clinic here in Seattle. I do not have health care, like most people in my age/income bracket, in this great country of ours. I have to call every week and hope to get a first appointment to a dental clinic. Hopefully since this wisdom tooth is partially through I'll get it pulled!

    ReplyDelete